Interesting
I was dinking around, seeking "stuff" in my quest to accumulate all knowledge and, hence, become the most powerful person in the world--after all, knowledge is power. I secretly aspire to be like that guy in the commercial browsing the internet and getting the message "You have reached the end of the internet." Not really, but that's one of only two commercials I actually get a kick out of, my all-time favorite being this:
It would be a sad day indeed if I ever hit a website like this because I've spent so much time online, but definitely worth a chuckle. I had a point here, so I guess I need to get to it.
I came across this site, which outlines the types of government and the manners in which they are elected and the bases upon which they operate. I must say, it's very interesting. I remember in school being taught that USA was a "democracy" (asininity in itself, since we are, in fact, a REPUBLICAN form of government). After reading this, though, I can't really argue with the endnote stating that some argue that the USA is a plutocracy rather than a democracy. Check out this definition of plutocracy: A form of government which consists of rule by an elite group who rule in their own interests, especially the accumulation of wealth and privilege. Only certain members of society have a valid voice in the government. This can reflect (but is not limited to) economic interests, a particular religious tradition (theocracy), or familial rule (monarchy).
Stay with me here. Who rules the United States?
Someday I'll finish the other post I still have in draft, venting in detail about how the most powerful words modern man has uttered have just as little backing them anymore as the American dollar (you know, the ones that give you a tingle up and down your spine, make you swell with pride: "We the people of the United States," "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," THOSE words).


0 comments:
Post a Comment