Sunday, March 15, 2009

Life as an Experiment in Politics

Experiment A:
I was born in 1949, the eldest of seven siblings. We lived a short time in the city, but most of my life was spent on our family farm, where I learned the meaning of hard work, responsibility, and family. In school, I studied agriculture and auto mechanics, subjects I enjoyed. I married at 20, welcomed my first child 3 years later and two more over the next 7 years. I bought a few acres of land from one of my parents' neighbors and built a home, with my own hands, my brothers at my side helping. After my children were grown, I built another smaller home for my wife and I next door to the first, again with my own hands with my brothers to help; and my oldest child with spouse and children moved into the first. I worked in a machine shop for many years, until one day the shop closed down and relocated. I found work with a farm equipment dealer as a mechanic and worked there for several years until recently, when work dried up and I was let go. Over the years and overlapping both jobs, I co-owned and operated a small diary farm, but agricultural regulations and local ordinances became so cumbersome as to make continued operation unfeasible. We sold our herds and as much equipment as we could, but we were not the only farm closing down and sale of assets was difficult; larger farming operations have little use for "small" equipment. Being nearly 60 and having worked a lifetime in now essentially obsolete industries, I have few employment options beyond greeter at Wal-Mart and look forward to retirement.

Experiment B:
I have no story to tell. I would have been born in 1992, but my 31-year-old unmarried mother chose to have an abortion, her fourth in half as many years. I would like to tell you that I am a vibrant 17-year-old, studying hard and popular in school, planning for my future; unfortunately, that future was taken from me at a time when I had no choice as to its outcome. I could have become a writer, an artist, a teacher, a musician; instead, I was merely deemed an inconvenience and discarded in a callous manner. In some ways, this was probably most fortunate; my mother could not stand the idea of me or what I represented, and I surely would have suffered the consequences had she not aborted me at 14 weeks' gestation - her repeated abortions over a short period of time proved her incapable of ensuring my well-being, even if that meant allowing me to live and giving me to someone else to raise. I know I was wanted, but I was denied the opportunity to meet by whom.

Which "experiment" is the product of a conservative upbringing and which is that of a liberal?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP